Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I take that back....

You know when you buy a product and they always want you to buy insurance or an extended warranty on it. I HATE that. Is the product so bad that they have to offer a "backup" for when it breaks, or are they trying to get more money out of your pocket. I vote the second answer. I never purchase "extended" anything. I'll take my chances. Well, today I did just that. I was at a friends house and had to use the bathroom. Every thing went smooth and normal until I flushed the toilet and heard a "plop"! I look down as my cell phone....pause....SCREAM!....okay, now we can move on...is caught in a circular motion and headed for the dreadful unknown. I was wearing a hooded sweatshirt and had my phone in the front pouch. STUPID! When I purchased my phone plan, they (Verizon), asked if I wanted insurance in case my phone was accidently washed or dropped in the toilet. "No thanks. Who does that anyways?! Irresponsible people!" I discovered that maybe they aren't just trying to make more money off of me, but they realize that consumers can be THAT stupid!
So, here I sit waiting to see if my phone will come back to life or if I am going to purchase a new one. In the mean time, don't call because I CAN'T answer it! Maybe this time when they ask me if I want the insurance I'll say, "Yes, please!" Nah, I think I'll take my chances!

10 comments:

Anthony said...

If it makes you feel better, I've done the same thing. I was wearing a hoodie and we were in IKEA....and well, the phone dropped in the urinal.

*side note: water is bad, pee is worse, and pee from total strangers....SOOOOO not cool!!

Until we got a new phone, I refused to answer our cell phone. Cheryl would go to answer it, and I would look at her and I was like, "ah babe...just let it ring." I didn't have the heart to tell her what actually happened. shhhhhhhhhh!! don't tell her....sometimes ignorance is bliss!!

Sherydon said...

I can relate!! I always carry my phone in the pouch when wearing a hoody. I usually put my keys there too if im not gona be long. I went to panda express a couple months ago and dropped my darn keys in there. What do you do?? I had to wipe them off and use em. Rest assured i went home and disinfected them with nail disinfectant!! YIKES!! good luck!!

Shae said...

Nothing to that extent has happened...yet! The only thing that has happened to our cell phone was when Micah was about a year old, we let him play with it, and he chewed on the end where the charger goes. Well, as we all know how much babies slobber, he got so much slobber and such up in there, that it died. It was actually kind of nice, because I had been wanting to get a new phone, and a new plan, and Nate said, "When this phone dies, then we will"...so I guess it kind of worked out for the best. (On the other hand...it was our palm pilot, too, and so we lost all of that info. as well...not so cool!)

Tom and Audrie said...

I dropped my cell phone a few weeks ago and it broke in half never to work again!!! I was told once if you take the cover off there is a dot and if it has changed color that means that it has got to wet and won't work. My problem is I don't remember what color it is and what it changes too. Sorry....good luck with the new phone. And I guess that explains why you haven't called me back, huh!!!

ANDY, JEN & KIDDIES said...

I have so been there before. Too bad mine had to fall into a toilet at a motel 6 that had a kinds of nasty stains. Let me just tell you I disinfected my phone and my hand several times. Greatfully my phone decided to come back to me. I hope yours comes back to you!

Fonzareli said...

For me, not the potty but the washing machine. STUPID STUPID STUPID. That's what I get for doing laudry. I was the one too that said, Nah, we dont need insurance on it. Well, guess what, 5 weeks later I sure was wishin we had bought that insurance. Someone told me to put my wet phone in a covered container with dry rice and the rice soaks up the moisture. I tried it but it just made my phone look white and dusty. Long story short, new phone WITH insurance. Good luck!

Chelsie Brown said...

Gross, but funny little story. Goes along with anthony's comment. My brother-in-law did the same thing but he tried to catch his phone (while he was still, you know, peeing). Yeah, he got himself good. But, good news, the phone was safe. Bad news, his hand/arm was not.

Michelle R said...

Mmmmkay, so I still think I have everyone trumped with FLUSHING the keys to the rental car while on vacation. Never saw those again. I will make sure to call you at home.

Ginger said...

I am l.o.l at all these comments and am actually rejoicing because I don't have a cell phone to flush down a toilet. I will tell ya'll that one of Earl's co-workers dropped a cell phone in a bucket of coolant. Guess what? Yep, dead phone. Coolant doesn't just "dry out" and let the phone start working again.

Jen said...

Mandy my friend..I highly recommend the insurance. It's only 5 dollars a month (yes there is a $50 deductible) but if you have a phone that's $200 it only costs $50 I spilled water on mine not too long ago and replaced it for only $50 compared to $250.