Friday, April 18, 2008

My little cheerleader!

As a wife and mother of two, you find that you need an "out". For some people it may be reading a book in a bubble bath and for others it may be going shopping with girlfriends. My out is my weekly volleyball game. I have been playing on a city volleyball league and loving every minute of it. I am old and not as capable as I was in high school, but I love the sport the same. Two of our games this season were at 9:30 p.m. We had a couple games at this time last season and due to my situation...husband working nights...I was not able to attend because my kids have a bedtime of 8:30ish. Well, this season, I have missed two other games because of sick kids, so I decided to be selfish and take them with me (some of the other husbands that attend the game watch them for me). Poor Jax. He was crying to go to bed before we even left the house. Which in most cases is a good thing for a mother that a child is wanting to go to bed (usually we can't wait for that time of day/night). Anyways, I took my kids in their pajamas...bad, selfish mom I know, but, it makes me happy and in turn will make them happy, right?! It was our last season game (unless we make it to the tournament...keep your fingers crossed for us...Go Aamco Attack!). It was the worst referee I have ever had, but I won't get into that much. That's another post. It didn't help that our ref plays on a different team in our division. I was really discouraged at the way the game was playing out and I looked over and Maycie is standing on the side lines clapping her hands and yelling "go Mommy"! How do they do it? In a single moment they can make you realize how lucky you are. The game was just a game, but I had my daughter cheering me on. Usually your kids want you to be proud of them, but, I realized, it felt great knowing she was proud of me. In the midst of every day life as a mom and through the ups and downs, I think I need a little cheering on from my little cheerleader, "go Mommy!"

P.S. - I'm the one right over Maycie's shoulder (your left) bent down under the net. And the "meany", rotten ref is right above her head.

6 comments:

Ginger said...

It's so neat that you've found a way to keep doing something that you love! I think it's good for our kids to see that "Mommy" is good for more than meals, stories and clean clothes. Good luck with the tourney!

Jeff and Lea said...

I'm glad that you have a weekly night out. And what could be better than playing a sport that you love? Also good exercise, eh? I don't think it was selfish to bring them.

Suzie Koskella said...

YEah for you! I think we all need to do something for ourselves once in a while to keep us sane! That will in turn benifit our children right?!!! :) You are a wonderful mom and I could never think of you as selfish!!

Fonzareli said...

RAH RAH RAH!!! This is me cheering you on, saying "WAY TO GO MANDIE"!!!! Not selfish at all by the way. It keeps us sane, so we don't end up being like the meany ref. Mom's need to have fun too

Shay and Kira said...

I can totally tell what ref that is...she stinks. haha. I think it's great for your kids to see you doing the things you enjoy...and i'm glad you could make it to the games. Unless we make it to tourny (not likely) games dont start again till like September.

Sarah Smith said...

Fun Conoco Phillips wives are having a volleyball tournment wish you were here to go play with us. I think you are great. Every mom needs time off. Luv u Tell Con thanks for the message it was neat to get one from my bro.