Thursday, April 10, 2008


Jaxon had his one year baby wellness check yesterday. He weighed 19.8 lbs. He is in the 10th percentile for his weight, 50th for his height, and 90th for his head (no surprise there). The doctor highly encouraged me to sit him 5-6 times throughout the day to eat. Are you FREAKIN' kidding me?! This kids eats more in one meal than Maycie does all day. If I feed him anymore, the USA is going to become a third world country because there won't be enough food to go around! There is no exaggeration when I say he is half of our grocery bill alone (it doesn't help that he is still hooked on Gerber foods). If the doctor wants me to sit him for a feeding 5-6 times a day, she can come the other 2-3 times a day. I don't get a whole lot done in most days anyway, and you add 2-3 more feedings onto that...there is no hope for me! Oh, this story gets better (worse for Jaxon). Our pediatrician's nurse is now a black male. It is the first male nurse we have had, EVER. No worries or problems there, until he starts to give him his shots. Usually, the nurses pin the child's leg in between the table and their own body, right? No, not him. I remember thinking as I tucked my head next to Jaxon's ear to whisper comfort, "That ain't gonna work for this kid". And, I was right. Jaxon's legs were flying and flopping and the poor nurse was trying to grab them and hold them still long enough to give the shot. Well, needless to say, by the time he was done giving the 3 shots, blood was streaming down both legs (usually you don't see an ounce). Jaxon was screaming so hard he couldn't catch his breath. The bandaids on both legs were saturated with blood within 5 minutes. Poor kid! He'll thank me later, I hope. The only thing I like about my kids getting their shots is after the nurse is done, they leap into your arms and they cling onto you and for just a few moments, they don't want to let go, because for a single moment, YOU ARE THE NICE ONE!

12 comments:

Sherydon said...

i love your sense of humor!! That's so sad that he was bleeding and crying so badly!!

Shae said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shae said...

Okay, sorry...I deleted my previous post...I made a few mistakes! :) Here it is again!

That's so sad about his shots! Is that nurse new to the profession? The nurses have ALWAYS held their legs down with my kids.

Also, I wouldn't worry about him...he'll catch up on his weight soon enough. Micah was down to the 3%-ile on his weight when he was about that age, too...and he would totally put down about 3 pieces of french toast plus a couple of glasses of milk for breakfast, and then about 1 1/2 cups of mac 'n cheese for lunch, plus dinner and snacks when he was that age. He ate a lot, he just didn't gain alot. I think that Micah is about back up to the 15-20%-ile or so now, but they all catch up. Good luck! And hopefully your night is good since Jaxon got his shots!

Tom and Audrie said...

Don't worry about his weight. Maycie was small so was Haylie, Kylie, Tate and Kaden and they are all fine now and I didn't feed them any extra meals. I would just keep doing what you are doing. Sorry about the shots. I've never had one bleed that bad. I'm surprised he didn't hold down his legs though.

Tom and Audrie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ANDY, JEN & KIDDIES said...

What a stupid nurse. Next time, if there is a next time for this guy, tell him he is an idiot for me. I'm sorry his doctor apointment went so bad. I hope he doesn't have a hard time getting better from those shots.

amber schmidt said...

I hate that nurse!!! I have had the same one the last couple of times with Cole and he totally doesn't put it in deep enough so he gets these big knots in his legs that look so sore. One time he even started shooting the shot out before he put it in his leg! I go in a couple of weeks again & I think I'll ask for someone else to do it - is that extreme? My boys are both way low for their weights with big heads. We joke that their like bobble heads.

Matt and Tesha said...

Hey Mandie, I can't believe that only one nurse gives the shots! When I take Jaxton, they have two nurses and it is over before I know it! My Jax has a big head too! He was actually off the charts at his 6 month, so we are so glad that he is in the 90%tile now! I love reading your blog. You are so funny, and your kids are so dang cute! Take care and say hi to Conrad for me! Tesha

Sarah Smith said...

That poor baby. How long was that guy trying? Gosh give him luv from his auntie Sarah Can't wait to see you guys in Aug. I hope when i take Kasha next week it goes a little better. Love ya

Kristy E.B. said...

Sounds like it's time to request a different nurse? Poor kid! We miss you guys!

Ginger said...

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight thing. When our little McKenzie went in for her 18 month check-up, the doctor looked at her BEFORE looking at those crazy graphs. He said that she had a perfect little body, chubby little legs, chubby little tummy, everything. Then he looked at the charts. She was below the 10th percentile for weight. LITTLE was probably the right word, but she is healthy, happy, strong and smart. What else could you ask for?

The Braggs said...

Hi,
Wow, that sounds awful, except for the end part where they love on you, it's my favorite part too. I am totally dreading taking brin in next month for her shots. It is basically the only time she cries, well that and when she gets her nose plunged. But who wouldn't hate getting a huge green bulb shoved up their nose and their brains getting sucked out right. Well hope all is well and hope to see you guys soon. Lots of Love Becka