Friday, April 25, 2008

One man's junk, 'nother man's treasure!

I would like to think that we are pretty clean people. I have a little of what some would call the "neat freak" syndrome. I LOVE things in their place and when they are moved even the slightest, I fix it. I am a huge fan of "Friends", the old t.v. show, and related myself a lot to Monica...an obsessive cleaner...a vacuum to clean the vacuum...you get the idea. Anyways, I am starting to feel extremely squished in our tiny, two bedroom, 1100 sq. foot apartment. Conrad has suggested moving multiple times in the last few months; however, he graduates in December and I don't want to move just to pack up and move again. So we're sticking it out! I came home from a baby shower last weekend and Conrad was going through his closet. *Timeout: I have been waiting for Conrad to do this for months. I have tried making D.I. piles from his clothes before...well, he catches me and 95% goes back in the closet before I can sneak out the door. He is sort of a minor pack rat. I LOVE you babe! Okay...back to the story...he started a mad cleaning, de-cluttering, organizing frenzy. I hate "Spring" cleaning, as they call it, because you end up making a bigger mess than what you started with.
Moral of our story...we can now shut the doors to our dresser. We have extra hangers in our closet. Our shoes each have their own place on a shoe rack. We can actually see under the bed. And, the vacuum no longer acts as a coat rack in our coat closet. SIGH! That was tough work!

4 comments:

Ginger said...

I can relate to feeling "cramped", because our house in Oregon was 1300 square feet and there were 7 of us crammed in there! As for the DI pile, here is something that seems to work for us; I have a tote that usually lives in the laundry room or mud-room. Whenever something comes out of the dryer that is too small for someone, that item goes into the "Goodwill tote". Then I just take the tote with me when errands take me that direction and "yippee!" the stuff is gone. It makes clean-up and moving much easier if you don't have all the junk to sort through. (Take it from someone who has moved 10 times in 15 years!) :)

Sarah Smith said...

He has always been a pack rat. I remember cleaning his room for him one time when he left on a fire, i could not believe the stuff I found in his room. But I still love him like you do. I think he was greatful for that but like you I junked alot of stuff.

Matt and Tesha said...

Wow! Go Conrad! My husband's a serious pack rat not a minor one, so I completely understand! I think I'm going to get rid of a bunch of Matt's stuff when he's in training this summer, so he doesn't even know it's gone!

Sherydon said...

Good for Con!!! Ive asked my husband a bagillion times to clean out our closet on our backporch. Its full of gloves, hats, tons of cow stuff and so on!! Its so junky and i love organization!! The top of his dresser is a disaster, ive given up on cleaning it. Anywho, tell con im not sorry about the shoes!! How in the world can you pass up such a great deal!!